When you see a funeral procession on the road, you’ll see police officers on motorcycles, friends and family with their headlights on, and maybe a van loaded with flowers. What you’ll never see is a U-Haul trailer hitched to the hearse. No matter how wealthy you are, you can’t take it with you. In the Old Testament, Job said, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I shall return there.”
On the other hand, Jesus says we can pay it forward. “Store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.” (Matthew 6:20) By giving our material resources towards God’s work in the world, we pay it forward. In Luke 16:9, we read that we should give to God’s work so that one day those who were reached because of our giving will welcome us into heaven.
1. We own nothing, but God owns everything. Psalm 24:1
2. God generously entrusts to us a portion of what He owns. 1 Timothy 6:17-19
3. We can’t take the wealth entrusted to us to heaven. Job 1:21
4. We can give it all away and thereby lay up treasure in heaven. Matthew 19:21
5. The motive for giving is grace. 2 Corinthians 9:7-8
6. In our journey to give it all away, the tithe, 10%, is the floor not the ceiling. Matthew 23:23
7. If we are faithful with the little that God entrusts to us, He will entrust us with more. Luke 16:10
Please support City of Refuge faithfully and conveniently using one of the following methods:
Please contact Alisa Williams in the church office (713-664-5033) if you have any questions or need assistance making your donation.